My day at home goes something like this...
7:30am-Mike leaves for work and the boys all wake up just about when he closes the door and pulls out of the driveway (or so it seems). It takes about 1.5-2 hours to change, feed, and settle the boys.
9:30am- I want to start doing laundry or dishes or take a shower but instead I have to pump to start stocking up breast milk for the day. If I don't pump every 3-4 hours my milk supply starts shrinking and then we have to give the boys more formula. I pump for a half hour.
10:00am- the boys are starting to stir but I hold them off with their pacifiers and scramble to get some laundry in and grab something to eat and drink. If I forget to drink enough water my body starts making less breast milk and I am pretty much a slave to the breast milk so that my boys can get enough nutrition. By the time I am back upstairs and have finished eating something quick one or more of the boys is really mad and ready to eat.
11:00am- feed and change babies.
1:00pm- if they settle down right after eating then I have enough time to pump again and maybe fold some laundry and start the dishes. If they do not settle down quickly and they are cranky then I sometimes spend the remaining hour or hour and a half trying to do two things at once by switching between pumping and getting them settled down...whichever baby was cranky usually settles just in time for the next feeding session to start for the other two. I try to get out and get some exercise if it is nice out by taking the boys on a walk sometime in the afternoon, I have to stretch their feeding session from 3 to 3.5 hours apart and sometimes they get cranky but I usually need to get out and get some air.
2:30pm get the boys in the house and feed and change babies.
4:00 or 4:30pm- pump again and quickly try to finish either laundry or dishes (but rarely both) before Mike gets home.
5:30 or 6:00pm- Mike comes home, and then we both feed and change babies so it takes a little less time. One of us, usually Mike, makes dinner during this feeding session. Then once babies are fed, I pump and off and on one of us keeps them quiet by running between them and either holding, burping or giving pacifiers while the other person tries to eat dinner and make bottles for the night to come. 9:00pm I pump one last time while Mike starts feeding babies. 9:30pm I go to bed and Mike stays up and feeds and cares for babies until 2:00am.
12:00am - Mike feeds and changes babies. (and keeps them happy until the next feeding session)
2:00am- Mike wakes me up and I pump again. Then once I am done pumping, I take over the feedings and after 4.5 hours sleep my day begins. Mike goes to sleep.
3:00am- I feed and change babies.
7:00am- After 4.5 hours sleep, Mike wakes up and gets ready for work the day starts over again.
And this is the glorious life of a family with triplets...but I cannot tell you more because true to form, Mike has just left for work and there is now a baby crying in the other room. I mean literally, house door closes and Mike's car starts and like magic baby cries...its actually quite impressive...
Please don't wake us up...we are snuggly
What I wish my mornings were like- peaceful babies

1 comment:
Hey Leah,
Bless your heart. You are living through the most intense period of your life. You deserve all the help you can get! Your babies are beautiful, and you should be so proud of yourself for giving yourself fully to them - no matter how it feels, you will be rewarded for it!
I totally know nothing about the ins and outs of nursing three babies, but can you share the reason that you're pumping vs just nursing them?
Here are the search results for nursing triplets from kellymom.com
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/basics/bf-links-multiples.html
This is an excerpt from "Breastfeeding and caring for twins and more"
"There is some evidence that mothers make more milk when multiples breastfeed simultaneously. However, many mothers have breastfed multiples individually for all, or most, feedings and made more than enough milk to completely feed all of them. The important issue in feeding multiples is to allow unrestricted breastfeeding by responding to each baby's cues to breastfeed at least eight to twelve times daily. "
When Harmony was born, I was still nursing Dorsey, and I would nurse them simultaneously sometimes. Nursing a toddler is ver different from nursing a newborn, obviously, but that is what Boppy's are for!
I hope you don't think I'm beign bossy or nosy or whatever. If I was there, I'd be present as often as possible to physically help (possibly not that often considering my sneezy drippy brood!) but since I'm not, this is the only help I can give.
Please be very very gentle with yourself. This is a gargantuan undertaking (it's not your imagination!) and vow to let EVERYTHING go but the ESSENTIALS - food and water for mom, sleep for mom, some sort of rehumanization for mom (a shower every three days if you can manage it!) and MAYBE laundry. Use paper plates and glasses - you will save the world in a few years! WEAR the cranky ones (you know about babywearing, right?) or swing if it works. Demand relatives to bring you meals, and while their there, tell them to hang around to clean up some. Tell them you will repay the favor in the future.
have to attend to mine, but keep your chin up. *hugs*
Post a Comment