Friday, November 7, 2008

is whining a milestone?

My boys think that it is...normally I give you the happy updates with no harsh realities...I am breaking that rule for this post...The boys are driving me a touch crazy lately...they are teething constantly and complaining about it constantly or so it seems and Konrad is no longer even coming remotely close to sleeping through the night. Zachary has been waking up once or twice as well. This has been happening for weeks now and I am nearing my wits end or atleast I feel like it sometimes. I know that there is no luxury of actually reaching my wits end...its not like I can just stop parenting when I get fried now is it...I am just so very tired, so tired because I am not sleeping more than one or two hours at a time between Konrad and Zachary. Also, Konrad is having separation anxiety and jealousy issues. So he cries and cries and cries until I stop caring for the other babies and pick him up. Not all of the time, but enough that it is getting old. Once I do pick him up he is all smiles until I try to put him down again and then he acts like I stuck him with a hot poker and starts screaming again...really, I mean really...plus he won't sleep in his crib. This means he sleeps with me...which means even less sleep. We really have tried everything from tylenol and benedryl to massage and baths to crying it out. Nothing works, he will not sleep alone. He is absolutely terrified of his crib or of being in a pack and play alone. I can barely put him in there for a minute while I change his diaper. He gets hysterical until I pick him up and then he clings to me like a desperate little monkey for quite a while afterwards. Even in my bed I have to lay there until he falls asleep and he reaches over and checks to see if I have left him three or four times before he actually falls asleep. Then when he wakes up and realizes I have left him he panics...but its not like I can stay there while he sleeps during his naps, there are three of them and most of the time they don's sleep at the same time during the day and I have housework. So I am just frustrated. I am not sure how I can love something so much and be so thankful that I have them but still want to leave them just for a good nights sleep. I think I need to get out more. I take the boys ou for walks and sometimes I take them to the store, but it is really hard to do these things on my own. In addition to teething I think they are just bored. They want to walk, they want to crawl but they are trapped because they can't. So they want me to pick them up, but there are three of them and one of me. So when I have one the other two often notice and throw a bit of a fit, Konrad is the worst but the other two have their moments of jealousy. I don't know. I have never felt more inadequate...I know I am doing the best that I can for them and I know that I am trying very hard to meet their needs...I am trying really hard not to go crazy from the social isolation and sleep depravation...but despite the fact that nearly all of my energy is thrown at raising these three boys, I am still falling short, I still am not meeting their needs...otherwise they wouldn't be whining all of the time...it is a very frustrating time to be a triplet mom. I just wish I could figure out what they need and then give it to them, Konrad especially...I think he needs what he can't have, I think they all do. They need the undivided attention of a parent. They need someone to hold them and snuggle them and love them when they want it so that they can trust that their needs will be met, but I can't give them that all of the time, I am holdoing someone else when they cry or feeding someone else when they are hungry so they have to wait...and in Konrad's case that has made him scared and possessive because he thinks that I am going to leave him and go caref or someone else...which I am...because there are three of them...its kind of sad really. It makes me sad and it makes me feel inadequate. Supermom I am not...now if I had a clone or two that would be super...

2 comments:

FrenznickFive said...

my three are going through the same stage right now all teething and at everypoint in the night it seems like someone is getting up screaming! they are whining so so soooo much just this constant whine ahhhh so i too am going crazy and know that you are not alone! :o) and i dont go ANYWHERE! we are on lockdown so i feel your isolation pain! oh and i sent you email on TC last week did you get it?

Meluch+3 said...

I know what you mean. Our little ones are just starting to figure out jealousy and that if they cry when they see me I pick them up. It can be very frustrating because no matter how you do the math, one of you, three of them. Hang in there. Soon they'll figure out they have each other!

Mel (meluch.blogspot.com)