Monday, December 15, 2008

Family Christmas parties...and so it begins...

Christmas with my children...it makes the holidays feel more exciting and I am definitely more excited than I have been in years about the season in general...I know that they don't know or care that its the Christmas season, but it feels good to have my babies in the world to enjoy the holidays with me...although I never expected to have quite so many so soon, lol. I will say that going to a Christmas gathering or any gathering for that matter isn't quite as easy as it was without babies...there is no such thing as coming in and slipping out under the radar...we are the equivelant of an airbus on the radar...Not that I mind, but getting three babies and all of thier accessories in and out does add an extra element of challenge and chaos to the holiday party season that I hadn't considered until I was packing and then repacking everything up to go.

This Saturday, despite the fact that we are supposed to be on RSV season lockdown, we took the boys to their first big family party...pretty amazing that in 10 months we haven't taken them to someone's house beside my moms for a family party....I was worried that we would take over the world with our baby stuff but I streamlined the packing as much as possible and other than filling the room with babies, I think we did okay. I felt like a demented version of the 12 days of Christmas song...8 bottles in cooler, 7 burp cloths, 6 pacifiers, 5 changes of clothing, 4 plates of cookies, 3 car seats with babies, 2 pack and plays, and an exersaucer just to be safe...you get the drift...we were quite the pack mules carrying all of our stuff to the car and then into the house...but the babies were quickly gobbled up into the crowd and they had many hands to hold them. I could have panicked about germs and handwashing and RSV but I decided before we left for the party that if we went I had to let it go because I would have driven myself crazy if I tried to run interference in a group that big...once I decided to give it up to fate, I actually coped quite well if I may say so myself. The boys were on their best baby behavior and they did not get too overwhelmed by it all. We tried to find them a quiet spot for a nap but they could not manage to fall asleep...It was a rest only...if by rest I mean babies howling at the top of their lungs until someone came in and saved them, lol...Konrad slept for almost an hour in Kelly, my sister in law's, arms...so he was well rested oddly enough. We received some wonderful gifts and clothing from our Aunts and cousins although I unwrapped them because the presents were opening minutes after we layed the boys down for their "nap". I am definitely worried that in a few days we will pay for all our fun with runny noses and a cough...but it is the risk we accepted when we breached "lock down" protocol and took them to a social gathering with lots of people...hopefully that decision will not come to bite me in the butt...anyway if it does, it won't be the first time, lol. Hopefully they can stay healthy and remain that way through the winter...thats alot to ask I know...we have a few more gatherings this season although on a smaller scale, so I am hopeful, perhaps naively hopeful, that they will remain healthy.


The Trio in their Christmas Party outfits.

Daddy and little Mike

Great Uncle Wayne (my Godfather) with Konrad
Cousin Jessica with Zachary

No comments: