So, I desperately turned to the world of self help/parenting books and now we are trying to "sleep train" the boys using the Baby Wise system. Needless to say there are times during this process where I feel Baby Stupid. Basically, every baby gets woken up at the same time every day, which- in our case- is 6:30am. They get changed, fed and then I force them to stay awake for 30-45 mins and"play" (and let me tell you - it is a bit of a challenge for one person to keep three babies awake and stimulated when they want to sleep). Then after playtime I swaddle the heck out of them and put them in their bed awake so that the can learn to sleep...or something. Either way they have their pacifiers and they are swaddled and they sleep. When someone wakes up and I can't get them to quiet down with a pacifier, I wake everyone up again and we do the whole thing over.
How does one person feed three babies all at the same time you might wonder? Well I'm afraid that we have strayed far from au naturale and very far from breastfeeding...since I don't really want to prop bottle because I am afraid of choking babies, I have started using Podee feeders - which are basically a nipple at the end of flexible tubing attached to the bottle. I feed one baby in my arms and start out the other two with the Podees and then I finish those two off when I am done with the first baby. Then I rotate which baby gets arm fed first for the next feeding.
Each wake, change, feed, play, sleep cycle is 2.5-3 hours. In the evening, at 7:30 or 8pm, we have the final cycle and then we put the babies down for the night. At 10:30 or 11pm, we "dream feed" the babies by feeding them in the dark, without talking and without really waking them up if possible. Then once they are burped, they go right back down to sleep until they wake up by themselves. We usually feed them all again between 1:30 and 2:30am because so far someone always wakes up at around that time. In theory (I said in theory mind you) they should start sleeping 6-8 hours in a row once their bodies get used to this schedule.
I am still not entirely sold on the whole schedule thing, and if I had one baby I am pretty sure that I would have been an au naturale mommy with breastfeeding and babywearing and co-sleeping galore...but I had three babies....So, like the many other things that I had hoped and imagined having a baby would be like that I have had to just deal with and get over - such as working up until 40 weeks, a drug free pregnancy and labor, a natural birth, seeing my baby right as it is born and immediately after, having my husband cut the cord, holding my baby and putting it to breast, having my baby in the hospital room with me, leaving the hospital and going home with my baby, and so much more- I will just have to get over myself and follow a schedule and feed my babies all ot once however I can manage it. And, so far, I have to admit that the boys are actually crying less in the evening and at times I even get a small break to run around doing dishes or laundry. We have yet to see the imaginary, yearned for 6 hours of sleep, but here's hoping...
Mike having his turn with the Podee
Zachary having his turn with the Podee
Enforcing playtime

3 comments:
Leah - DO NOT feel bad about putting your babies on a schedule! You are their mother and they need to get used to you telling them what they can/can't do and when they can/can't do it. Both my boys were on a schedule and they are the best sleepers I know. I'm not saying it is right for everyone, but it was definitely right for us and I hope it works out for you. Just remember who is in charge LOL! Love ya and good luck - Lisa
Leah - I'm so sorry if I have been contributing to your difficulties. :( I KNOW you are the most self-sacrificing (in the good way) mom I know, and you would do anything to get your babies off to the best possible start in life. I know you know that baby wise has very vociferous critics, and normally I would count myself among them, but it sounds like no matter what you do your going to have crying babies, as that is life with triplets. Most concerns with baby wise involve strict scheduling to the point of ignoring a crying singleton because it's not yet time for a feeding, or because feeding time is through. ( see www.ezzo.info ) I know this is not you. *hug* You're already wearing your babies whenever you can, I've seen your pictures of cuddle sleeping with them, and I know you're probably just about to crack. I hope you're not hearing my voice in your head telling you you're doing it wrong -- if you are, you have permission to tell me to shut up! Keep just doing the best you can, and just try to love on them and also YOURSELF as much as you are able. I know you don't feel it now, but you are SO STRONG you'll get through this and it will begin to be easier ... sometime. *hug*
Leah-
I read your blog regularly and am so impressed with everything you've done so far. Keeley is basically the same age as your boys and so I'm often thinking of the same issues (they even have some of the same outfits!).
Anyone can see from your pictures that your babies are thriving and that is 100% due to everything that you and Mike have done for them so far. I know it's easy to get caught up in all this BS of scheduling vs. attachment parenting, bpa in bottles, blah blah blah, but when it comes down to it, those boys are doing great! You should be really proud of yourself. As a new mother of only one baby, I am somewhat in awe of the fact that you are doing this for three (and breastfeeding to boot!)
Speaking of feeding, that bottle thing is really cool, what a neat invention!
Take care, can't wait to meet them all one day in person...
ellen
Post a Comment