Thursday, May 22, 2008

Bedtime for Bonzo(s)

So I decided to post a video of a somewhat typical bedtime...this was a few nights ago but still worth sharing for all those people who think "how does she do it". All I can say is "umm sometimes I don't..at least not very gracefully", lol...but it gets done. Thankfully with the new schedule things are getting better and some nights they go right to sleep but some nights are like this...



...and I guess that nights like this are just one of the many perks of having triplets. If we didn't laugh (hysterically) we would cry...right? On a side note, they did eventually settle down and go to sleep but I'd be lying if I didn't admit to breaking a sweat.
These crying sessions when all three get going at once are my definite not favorite part of being a mom of multiples. Sometimes I am a deer in the headlights when they really get going and I just stand there and look around myself and think...oh my god how are there three...who do I grab first...do they need to eat..do they need to be changed...are they okay...etc...I am just dumbfounded by the sheer noise volume and the overwhelming job of caring for three needy babies when I am only one person with two arms (now I am not saying that I want one or three arms so all the wish fairies out there can just stand down). I usually snap out of it fairly quickly and the babies are no worse for the wear as I run around pooping pacifiers in mouths, warming up bottles and cradling the babies who won't take pacifiers for an answer to all their baby woes.
There are times that I look down at myself and I am covered in baby puke, my hair is still not brushed, I haven't showered since I'm not sure when, I haven't pumped in 5 or 6 hours, I haven't eaten or had anything to drink yet today and I really have to pee and the dishes and laundry still need to be done but I still take the time to crawl on the floor and give my babies their playtime and hold them in my arms and feed them their bottles and sing them to sleep. It is at these times that I feel the most successful as a mom of multiples and I am the most proud. I may not be the best housewife and right now I might not take the best care of myself, but I am a good mommy to these three boys and we are figuring this whole parenting thing out together.

We had our next evaluation from the Early On people today. All of the boys have a few issues and some developmental delays so we will be starting physical therapy in the next few weeks to help them catch up and to avoid needing more aggressive treatment later. Also, I think we might change pediatricians to a new one who can address more of the issues that come along with prematurity. To me the boys seem like they are healthy and making great strides, but to the people at Early On there were some definite things we have to work on that I would have never noticed. There are so many issues that can be solved with early intervention that I think we really need a pediatrician who is a bit more aggressive instead of the one we have who is pretty "watch and wait". So the search is on.

We took the boys' 3 month pictures the other day. They are so cute and they were very cooperative, we even got some smiles! I am so proud :)

The Trio

Michael
Konrad
Zachary

1 comment:

Angie said...

What beautiful pics Leah! Love reading your updates... miss you like crazy. When I'm feeling better, I'm coming over!!