Saturday, January 19, 2008

January 9th, 2008 - Gestational Diabetes grrrrrrr

"monitoring contractions while playing on the computer"
So I got the results of my glucose tolerance test and they were high. My glucose needed to be under 130 and it was 150. It didn't seem to high to me but it was high enough. I knew that it might be high because each placenta makes you more insulin resistant and terbutaline raises your blood sugar so I pretty much had a target on my forehead and it was just a matter of time. My doctor had me monitor my blood sugar at home for the last couple of days to see how high it was getting and after only one day of checking my sugars 4 times a day I realized that it was definitely true and I had developed gestational diabetes, grrr. I now have to check my blood sugars 4 times each day, eat a diabetic diet, and give myself insulin 2 times each day. Between the glucose checks, the insulin, the terbutaline and the lovenox I am a human pin cushion all day long, but so far I am still being a pretty good sport because I know that it could be worse and that it will be worth it if the babies remain healthy and in my belly for a while longer. The definite silver lining is that once the babies are out I will go back to normal and get to stop all of these medicines and needle pokes. It definitely adds some structure to my day because now I have to eat at certain times, check my blood sugar at certain times and give my insulin at certain times and I definitely have to pay attention to everything because I don't want to miss something and let my blood sugar get too high or too low...it is very exciting...Plus the pharmacy staff loves us since we are now personally putting most of their kids through college with all of my medications. I have to say that for the first time I am really starting to feel like I am ready for these boys to be out and for me to be just one person again. I definitely want them to  stay in for a few more weeks, don't get me wrong, but my list of drugs and things to torture myself with keeps getting longer with each doctor appointment and I am physically uncomfortable because my belly is big and  my hips and ribs are stretched to the max, but I have to keep reminding myself that 4-7 weeks is  nothing in the grand scheme of my life but it could mean a lot to the boys so...I think I can, I think I can, I think I can....

No comments: